The Fokker T.IV was developed to meet the requirements of the Royal Netherlands Navy for a maritime patrol/torpedo bomber aircraft for use in the Dutch East Indies. The original design was for a twin engined float plane with a thick, cantilever, high mounted, monoplane wing and a deep, slab sided fuselage with an open cockpit housing the two man crew. The aircraft was powered by two 450hp Lorraine-Dietrich 12E W-12 engines and made its maiden flight on June 7th 1927. The aircraft was fitted with three machine guns and could carry either a single torpedo or 1,764lb, (800kg) of bombs. A total of twelve were built and delivered to the Dutch Naval Aviation Service in the Dutch East Indies. In 1935 Fokker developed an improved version, the T.IV(a), with 750hp Wright Cyclone radial engines replacing the original units. The other improvements included an enclosed cockpit and enclosed nose and dorsal turrets. A total of twelve were newly built and the original aircraft re-built to T.IV(a) standard. All the new builds were also to be used in the Dutch East Indies. The T.IV(a) proved to be a reliable and seaworthy aircraft and was used for local patrols and air-sea-rescue operations from Java until 1941, when the Japanese attacked the Dutch East Indies. All remaining aircraft bar one were either scuttled or destroyed by Japanese bombing. The last aircraft was damaged in an accident and written off in May 1941
Обзор взят с сайта
The Netherlands remained neutral during World War I and as a result there was no great expansion to her naval fleet. Post-war financial constraints delayed any new construction until the mid-1920s. To replace her aging and obsolete destroyer fleet, the Dutch looked to the British firm Yarrow, one of the foremost destroyer yards at that time, for a new design. Yarrow submitted plans for a class of ships to be built in Dutch yards that were broadly based on the British Ambuscade class. The first series of the Admiralen class (also referred to as the Van Ghent class) was comprised of Van Ghent, Evertsen, Kortenaer and Piet Hein. All four ships were commissioned in 1928.
As built the ships in the Van Ghent class was fitted with four Bofors single 4.7” /50cal QF guns with two forward and two aft. A pair of single 75mm anti-aircraft guns was fitted on bandstands between the funnels. Four .5in machine guns rounded off the anti-aircraft armament. Six 21-inch torpedo tubes in triple mountings were also fitted. These ships could also perform mine laying tasks and could accommodate 24 mines if needed. As these ships were designed to operate in the Dutch East Indies, these destroyers were fitted with accommodations for a reconnaissance seaplane. A flying deck was built over the aft torpedo tubes and the aircraft was handled by a derrick on the main mast. Subsequently the after funnel was reduced in height and at the outbreak of the Pacific War the seaplane was landed.
All four ships were stationed in the Dutch East Indies when war was declared on Japan on December 8, 1941 and were eventually incorporated into the American-British-Dutch-Australian (ABDA) Command fleet. Van Ghent ran aground in Tjilatjap harbor and became a wreck on February 15, 1942. Piet Hein was sunk in the Battle of Badung Straits on February 19, 1942. Kortenaer was lost in the Battle of the Java Sea on February 27, 1942. Evertsen was beached by her crew on March 1, 1942 after suffering severe damage from Japanese destroyers in the Sunda Straits the day before.
Полностью обзор можно посмотреть здесь.
Обзор модели на сайте Britmodeller.com